Thursday, April 23, 2015

The End?

Mary Daheim is the author of one of my favorite “cozy” mystery series—The Alpine series. Each title was alphabetized (The Alpine Advocate, The Alpine Betrayal, The Alpine Christmas, etc). This series is not as “cozy” as some are, relying on the mystery plot. Still it has the strong, female lead character (as in most, but not all, cozies), and  recurring rather eccentric characters to add a little humor.

I just finished The Alpine Zen. Now what? Is the series over? I hope not. Does she start a number series a la James Patterson? Or being the clever writer she is, will she come up with some other title gimmick to continue the series? It’s a cliffhanger for me.

Sue Grafton is also teetering on the brink. Her alphabet series is nearing an end also (A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse, etc.)  Her “X” book is being released in August. Only two more to go. This another one of my favorite series and there’s nothing “cozy” about this one. Then again, it could be described as cozy noir because of the female lead, eccentric recurring characters, etc.  I hope she finds a way to continue the series.

Steven Havill writes a series, the Posadas County Mysteries set in New Mexico. His main character, Sheriff Gastner, is 74 years old now and retired, leaving the office in the capable hands of his staff. He is still involved in crime detection, of course, and from what I’ve read of the first pages of  his 2013 book, no one is opposed to using his expertise and experience solving crimes. I hope he has a few more years, he really is a likable character, but this series can continue with the new sheriff and his staff if and when Gastner goes to the great mesa in the sky.

Hmm. . . As I was proofing, it occurred to me that I may be just tad overly involved with my friends fictional characters. Nah, I can tell reality from fiction. . . most of the time.

No comments: