Thursday, October 18, 2007

Help Me Understand

Strange things run through my mind at 4:00 am when I am unable to sleep. This morning’s subject was Senator Clinton.

A truly astounding thing has happened in our area. The head of Bob Jones University, an ultra-conservative, church supported school, has endorsed Mr. Romney in his run for President. Mr. Jones has often had unpleasant thing to say about Mormons and the Mormon religion. Mr. Jones said he was endorsing Mr. Romney because he (Mr. Jones) thinks that Mr. Romney is the only candidate who was defeat Senator Clinton.

Something has puzzled me for a long time. Why do so many people passionately hate Senator Clinton? It seems that this hatred is personal and mean, not simple disagreement with her political views. Some of her detractors seem to be rabid and malicious. Why?

Is the because of the Whitewater scandal? Mr. Starr’s expensive investigation came to naught.

Was it her involvement in the White House Travel Office controversy? Cronyism and patronage have been around since George Washington held office, so surely that can’t be it.

Is it because when serving as First Lady she tried to do something positive and constructive about providing affordable insurance for everyone? How can anyone be against that?

Perhaps some people blame her because her husband is a womanizer. To me, that’s like blaming crime on victims. I should think conservatives would be applauding her for holding her family together through what must have been emotional Hell for her. She must have strong family values. (I have to admit that she may have had other reasons for staying the course, but it is not my place to question any woman’s motives who is in a similar situation.)

Is she hated because she wants to stop the killing in Iraq? She supported the war before it became clear that there were no WMD. Maybe she’s hated because she doesn’t continue to support the Great Untruth.

Is it because she has unattractive ankles? That can’t be; millions of women with unattractive ankles are loved and respected all over the world.

Could it be that she is hated because she is an intelligent, ambitious woman who has the unmitigated gall and arrogance to believe that she, a mere woman, can be President of the United States of America? I hope not.

Will I vote for Senator Clinton? I don’t know. I try to stay away from the debates and the speeches this early in the campaign so I don’t know her stances on the issues. I will vote for the candidate who will bring our military home. I will vote for the candidate who will tackle the problems with the economy, crime, education, health care, and Social Security. I will vote for the candidate who has an equitable solution to the illegal immigrant problem. I will vote for the candidate who will show the world that our government is one of honor and can be trusted.

Back to my point—My question is a serious one. If someone who reads this hates Senator Clinton, please explain it to me. I just want to understand. I’m not talking about disagreement with her political views; that I can understand and respect. I’m talking about the animosity for the woman, not the candidate.

Now I’m going to think about something more pleasant. I going to have lunch with my granddaughter at school today. There’s nothing more pleasant than that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think Hillary is a victim of the far right strategy of vilifying and demonizing the opposition. If you have doubts about the war? You're un-patriotic. Do you have some ideas that just might work and improve our society? You're a bleeding heart liberal. There is a segmaent of our population that are easily swayed by the propaganda of the neo-conservatives.