Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Nice Shade of Green

Most of the blogs I read regularly are written by young mothers. Their posts are funny and well-written. There are only one or two I have found that are written by people in my own age range. Yesterday I noticed on one of those sites an add-on that said “Proud Elderblogger.” Hmm, elder blogger, that’s me! I did a search to see if I could find out if Elderblog is a network or what. While I didn’t find that out, I did find several blogs written by older people.

After reading a few posts by different authors, I was most impressed. These people had things to say and said them very well. As I continued to read, my feelings took an unexpected turn. Suddenly, I was feeling. . .inadequate and envious. All of these people are leading productive lives. They are traveling; they are making life-changing decisions; they write so well. I’m a stay-at-home wife. I lead a dull life. We never travel. When I write, it’s not really writing; this is me talking.

As I began to sink into a funk, I thought to myself, “Wait a minute, Self! So you life is dull; you like dull. You know that you hate to travel. You are the happiest at home. You miss your cats, your sat tv, your computer, and your own bathroom when you have to travel. The only places you would even considering traveling to are the Grand Canyon and the UK. You visit some part of the UK at least once a week in the company of Miss Marple, Inspector Morse, Hamish McBeth, or other clever characters. You can visit the Grand Canyon any time you want just by browsing through The Weather Bug photo albums. Your life isn’t that dull. You attend baseball games and school band concerts. You dine at some of the finest establishments in the country (MacDonald’s and Chuck E. Cheeze). You have a fine, funny husband; your children are the absolute best that anyone could wish for. All of your grandchildren are healthy, smart, and beautiful. So you think you don’t have anything to say? That never stopped you. So what if most of what you say is drivel. At least you know how to vent. What the hell is your problem?!”

I talked myself right out of that funk, but I’m still feeling a bit of Envy of their talent for writing. I wish I could write half as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I look forward to reading each of your posts. Lao Tzu an ancient Chinese philospher said that you can travel around the world without leaving your front door. I think that's true.

jay said...

You're not leading a dull life and your writing isn't drivel. You're able to teach your writing skills to your children and grandchildren. And we're all gooder riters becuzz uv yew!
Thankx frum the bottum uf are harts! Wee luv yew!