Monday, January 28, 2008

A New Book

When Mr. Fixit retired from his regular job, I knew that sacrifices had to made. I don’t mind not having my nails and hair done. I don’t mind not having a daily newspaper delivered. I don’t mind waiting for things or even knowing that there are some things that are no longer in the budget. The one thing I miss terribly is not having the means to buy books whenever I want. Now I visit my library more often, and occasionally I buy discounted paperbacks. I have been rereading the books on my shelves. Even if I read a book a day, I have enough books for ten years. I probably won’t live long enough to read them all.

I have to admit that I probably spent more on books in a year than I spent on clothes. I was a member of the Mystery Guild book club for years. On my monthly visits to Sam’s, I always found a least one hardcover book and one or two paperbacks that I just couldn’t pass up. A trip to Wal-Mart always included browsing in the book department. Every month or so I would go to my favorite used bookstore and leave with 15 or 20 paperbacks. I never traded in my old books; it would have been like trading in my children. Books-a-Million was also one of my favorite haunts.

Now that I have my social security check I bought a hardcover book Saturday. Yea! I chose "T is for Trespass" by Sue Grafton. The main plot line dealt with elder abuse; a sub-plot dealt with a child molester--one end of the spectrum to the other. It was quite disturbing. It made it seem so easy to isolate a person, to make him/her completely dependent, then to steal his possessions and even his life. Scary stuff!

After I finish reading all of Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct novels, I think I’ll dig out the alphabet books by Ms. Grafton and visit with Kinsey for a few weeks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have hundreds of books. Email me (you can find my address on my blog). I may have some that you would like to read.