Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was more dramatic than usual.

Jason and Alisa invited us to share dinner with her mother, stepfather, brother and his wife. Ben, Dena, Dena’s dad, and their children also attended.

After we finished dinner, we were sitting at the kitchen table waiting for everyone to finish eating. Mr. Fixit said to me, “There’s something wrong.” He was very pale and Dena pointed out that his lips were blue. He was also complaining of chest pain. I panicked a bit because I had seen my father having his first heart attack when I was a little girl and I can never forget the way his lips turned blue. I knew I had to get him to the hospital right away. I didn’t think to call 911 or even to give him an aspirin. Ben and Jason helped him to the car. By that time, he was unable to walk alone. I drove him to the emergency room breaking several traffic laws.

After running several tests, the staff physicians doubt that he had a heart attack, but they said it could have been angina. They suggested that he see a cardiologist tomorrow. They let him go home about midnight.

Friday evening one of the doctors called to see how he was doing; the doctor also mentioned that Mr. Fixit has some fluid in his left lung. We don’t know what to make of that. We have to see our family GP to discuss this. It has been a long few days not knowing exactly what is happening.

He is also bored out of his skull. He gets a little testy with me when I get “over-protective.”

Maybe we will get some definitive information tomorrow.

No comments: