Sunday, January 4, 2009

Big Brother Is Watching Me

Being a fan of British mysteries, I have requested and received more than a few videos from Net Flix. At the beginning of some of the videos is the logo of “Acorn.” I assume it is the distributor of the programming.

Yesterday I received a catalogue from “Acorn” offering videos of British programming of all kinds and rather expensive gift items. I wondered how I made it to their mailing lists since I have never purchased any of their videos; I have only rented from Net Flix and watched the ones available through my local library and recorded some from television.

I have also received a couple of advertisements from companies that mentioned that since I purchased such and such movies I may enjoy their product similar to the ones I purchased. The movies mentioned in the offer were purchased from Amazon. The new offer was from a company other than Amazon.

Did I sign away from privacy rights? I don’t think I like Net Flix or Amazon selling my renting and purchasing information, as well as my name and address, to other companies. It’s rather like having the FBI or Homeland Security checking up on my reading list at the library. What other information have they been sharing, my credit card numbers perhaps? It’s very disturbing to me; my paranoia is alive and well. I suppose it’s harmless unless they are sharing my credit information. My movie preferences are rather benign—mysteries and thrillers for me and westerns and comedies for Mr. Fixit, but nonetheless, they are nobody’s business but mine.

If I did unknowingly agree to the companies “sharing” my information with others, how do I rescind the agreement? Or do I have no say-so in the matter? Time to “Contact Us” it seems.

No comments: