Thursday, September 10, 2009

How I Spent My Labor Day Weekend

When I go to the library, I sometimes come home with books I have already ready and maybe a dud or two. Last Friday I hit the jackpot.

From the “New Shelves,” I picked Blue Heaven by C. J. Box, The Lovers by John Connolly, and Nightwalkers by P. T. Deutermann. From the stacks I chose three Kate Shugak mysteries by Dana Stabenow.

Blue Heaven is a stand-alone book by Mr. Box. I always like his Joe Pickett books, and this one was as good if not better than that series. It kept me on edge until the final pages. Nightwalkers is in the Cam Richter series by Mr. Deutermann. I confess that I have only read this series. His other titles don’t appeal to me. This series never fails to keep me entertained. While I found Mr. Connolly’s latest offering interesting, I can’t say that I “enjoyed” it. His books in the Charlie Parker series always have that Twilight Zone-ish quality, but this one went even further into that supernatural realm. I like the older work better, but I don’t feel as if I wasted my time on this one.

Dana Stabenow writes one series featuring Kate Shugak, a PI, and the action takes place in Alaska. Her books are interesting and entertaining. This one I’ve finished today, Breakup, begins with the onset of the spring thaw, or the breakup. Things go a little crazy for Kate and the rest of the quirky inhabitants of Kate's little corner of Alaska. A 747’s engine falls from the sky, lands on her truck, and damages her house and outbuildings. She is attacked by grizzlies who have just roused from their hibernation and are hungry and grumpy. She finds a body that has been nibbled on by the bears. She involved in two shoot-outs. Everyone goes a little nuts after having made it through the long winter without going crazy. This book was hilarious—a bit of a departure for Ms. Stabenow. I loved it!

Tonight I’m going to start another Stabenow. In fact, I think I’ll go to bed right now and get started.


1 comment:

Ginnie said...

I've never been able to get interested in mysteries but I have friends who love them and I will tell them of your finds.