Monday, September 21, 2009

Isn't Technology Wonderful?

Today was a big day in the Fixit household. At least, it was a big day for me. Mr. Fixit had his new hearing aids fitted. They cost a fortune, but I think they are worth every penny and more.(FYI--Medicare does not cover any part of the cost.) He hasn’t said, “Huh?” one time since we came home from the doctor’s office. To be perfectly honest, having to repeat every single thing I said to him was very annoying to me even though I know that he couldn‘t help it. There have been occasions when I said something totally innocuous to him and he misunderstood. We have had more than one rather loud “discussion” about things he thought I said but I had said nothing close to what he thought I said. I was also worried about the safety factor driving and at work.

Mr. Fixit worked for years in the textile industry. Even though he was meticulous about wearing ear protection and insisting that his employees do the same, he experienced what I consider a large hearing loss because of the horrendous noise in the mill. Of course, age is also a factor.

He was a little afraid that they would work too well--hearing the echo of his own voice, background sounds being too loud, the devices being too noticeable. I think he was pleasantly surprised. The only sound that was a little disconcerting to him was the rustling of a paper bag. He said it was grating. When I turned on the kitchen TV, the volume was on No. 4. That’s the volume I use unless the appliances are running. He said it was a bit loud. The devices are very, very small and barely visible. The part that fits behind his ear is almost the same color as his hair, and the part that fits into his hear is not visible. The wire going from the ear canal to the piece behind the ear is clear. You have to look very closely to see it.

I don’t think he realized how bad his hearing is until the doctor put them in his ears. He had a smile on his face like a kid on Christmas morning. I guess I will have to watch what I say or we may have some more loud “discussions.” I am thrilled for him.

No comments: