Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Learning from My Mistakes

Sunday afternoon when pulling out of my parking place in the Wal-Mart parking lot, the man parked directly behind me backed into my car after I had backed out of the slot but before I could put the car into Drive and move away. He put a small dent (Maybe six inches wide) on the side of my car above the wheel well. It seems I made several mistakes so these are the things I would do differently:

1. I will call the police. Mr. Fixit will never let me live it down that I didn’t call the police even though my insurance company said that it wasn’t necessary since the accident happened on private property.

2. I will take a deep breath and calm down before I get out of the car. I was so shaken and angry, I had trouble finding my proof of insurance. (I did eventually find it.)

3. I will have a pencil and paper handy. I had to write the other driver’s info on the car manual front cover. If there is a next time I will write every minute piece of information the other driver offers. I didn’t do it Sunday.

4. I always have a camera in my purse, but I made a major mistake by not making pictures of both cars immediately after the accident. I was concerned about impeding traffic so I moved my car out of the traffic lane. I did take pictures of the damage to both cars. I had a dent; he had three or four scratches on his bumper. He was driving a big pickup truck; I was driving a little-bitty car.

5. I should have spoken up when I heard his saying it was both our faults. He was already trying to cover his butt.

6. I will also be sure to ask for the names and addresses of witnesses.


The jerk that hit my brand new little car with his big pickup is filing a claim with my insurance company even though he backed into my car while I was at a dead stop. If I shared responsibility for the accident I have the integrity to say so. When I called my insurance company this afternoon to relay that he was filing a claim, the rep said, “You did say that he hit the side of your car, right?” I said yes. She said, “Then I’ll deny his claim.” I hate to think that my insurance rates will go up because of an accident that wasn’t my fault.

I detest dealing with patronizing, un-co-operative company respresentatives (when Southern men say “I’m not trying to be ugly,” they are) and people with so little honor that they would shade the truth. Man-up, for gosh sake! Admit your fault! All I want is the little dent on my new car repaired.

No comments: