Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Fable

This afternoon I picked up Noah and Owen from school; both Jason and Alisa had to work late. While I was helping Noah, 10 y.o., with his homework I asked him if he had completed a fable that had been assigned to him to write. He said he had presented it today. He showed it too me, and, frankly, I was astounded. I asked him is he wrote it all by himself and he said he had except for asking for help with spelling.

His original fable:

Monkey and Raccoon
By: Noah

There was a monkey who was very generous, smart, and kind. He had a wonderful friend named Raccoon. They were like brothers because they hung out together so much. Some days, they would have some problems and disagreement.

One day, Monkey and Raccoon went to Nickhenry’s*. They were so hungry they could eat an entire cow! They were coming over a hill and they saw Nickhenry’s. But there was a raging river in between them. They didn’t know how they were going to get over it.

They first saw a sturdy bridge, but it was kind of far away. “I think we should go over the bridge,” said Monkey. Raccoon disagreed and said, “Aren’t you hungry? I am! I’m going to swim though the river. Besides, that bridge is too far away! I don’t think I would make it.” “Well, I’m going to go across the bridge so it will be a little bit safer, and I’ll see you over there,” said Monkey.

While Monkey was walking quickly to the bridge, Raccoon was getting into the river. When Raccoon took his first step into the river, he knew it wasn’t going to be easy to get across. He took a few more steps, but when he did, the water grabbed him and pulled him closer to the water fall. Raccoon “SHREEKED” with fear. He almost fainted he was so scared. He didn’t think anyone would save him.

While Monkey was crossing the bridge, he saw what happened to Raccoon. He saw that Raccoon was going to go over the water fall. So, he went to the edge of the bridge, put his tail over it, and told Raccoon to grab his tail and climb up. Raccoon frantically grabbed Monkey’s tail while Monkey pulled him up. Raccoon was finally safe, and they both went to Nickhenry’s and enjoyed their meal.

Moral:
It’s better to be SAFE than SORRY.

*Nickhenry’s is the name of one of Noah’s favorite restaurants.

I typed this just as it was written, a few little errors left as written. Maybe this is just a proud grammie speaking, but I think he did an amazing job.

********************

Why can't I center text anymore? Darn it!

No comments: