Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Movie Quotes

In this month’s “AARP Bulletin” there is a list of Hollywood’s 50 Greatest Lines as chosen by the American Film Institute. There are several interesting things about the list.

First of all, I have seen most of the movies mentioned. Well, maybe that’s not so unusual since the newest movie referenced was 1999. I watch very few new ones.

Number 1 was “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” from “Gone with the Wind.” I remember seeing GWTW when I was about 8 y.o. and I was shocked at the profanity in a movie.

Five out of the fifty came from one of my all time favorite movies, “Casa Blanca.” As a matter of fact Bogart was in several of the films cited, “The Maltese Falcon,” “The Treasure of Sierra Madre,” and “To Have and Have Not”

There were several films that I haven’t seen: “On the Waterfront,” “Taxi Driver,” “Love Story,” “Citizen Kane,” “Network,” “Midnight Cowboy,” “A Few Good Men,” and “Apollo 13.” I must be one of the few people in the world who hasn’t seen “Waterfront” or “Citizen Kane.” Marlon Brando has never been one of my favorites although I did like “Streetcar.” I think his talent was way over-rated. Is that blasphemy?

They missed one of my favorite lines: “To Kill a Mockingbird” - After the trial is over, the Reverend says to Scout, “ Miss Jean Louise, stand up, Miss Jean Louise, your father is passing.” That one gets me every time.

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

I loved "To Kill a Mockingbird" -- both the book and the film. And yes that is a truly great line.