Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Fixit Family News

Harrowing Ride

Part of Mr. Fixit’s family is on the way to South America for a visit. They had a long layover in Atlanta so Mr. Fixit decided to make the 130 mile trip (one way) to see them at the airport.

The weather became a big problem. We ran into torrential rain on I85 almost as soon as we hit the interstate, and it continued most of the way. We had to pull off the road several times because of the visibility problem.

When we were about 2/3 of the way there, they called to say they were still on the ground at LaGuardia in NY because of the severe weather in Atlanta. We went on a few more miles, and then Mr. Fixit decided to turn around and come back home. There would have been very little time to see them, and we didn’t want to drive back after dark.

Bo-o-r-r-ed!

Some time ago Mr. Fixit became a fan of VH1. Every time I walked by, there it was. Thank Heaven, that didn’t last long.

Now he has watched every western known to man, the weather is keeping him indoors, and the boys don’t have anything for him to do (handy-man stuff at the trailer park for one son or inspection work for the other), he is super-bored. He found RFD TV. He watches blue grass performers, polka dancers, country dancing, and animal husbandry shows. I hope this doesn’t last long. That blue grass music gets on my nerves.

Too Sweet

I have never been accused of being too sweet, but since Christmas, I have been very sweet. For some reason, my blood sugar jumped higher than it’s ever been before. My meds haven’t changed, so I don’t know what’s causing the problem. With my meds, I could eat almost anything I wanted if I regulated the amounts. No full bags of chips and whole cartons of regular ice cream.

I’ve had to cut back on the carbs, eating only a quarter of the amount suggested by the nutritionist to keep the levels within a reasonable range. It’s almost like being on the Atkins diet.

I want white stuff! Bread, pasta,  chips, potatoes, etc! However, when we went to a check-up from Mr. Fixit’s cardiologist, there was a man there who had lost a leg at the hip because of diabetes. I guess I can do without the white stuff. When I die, I would like to go with all my visible parts attached.

Politics

And the winner is—Newt! The people in this state just astound me. When Clinton was accused of infidelity, the good Christian people of the state were ready to impeach him. He was called every nasty name in the book. I think some would have liked to have seen him drawn and quartered. The rallying cry was “Family Values.”

At least Clinton’s wife was not suffering from cancer as Newt’s first wife or suffering from a degenerative disease like his second wife when  he kicked them to the curb. His business ethics are quite “flexible,” too, it seems. But Newt pulled off the win. It’s scary and sad how some people can say one thing one time and  say the opposite thing when it suits their own points of view and prejudices.

Does anyone remember who put this country in the mess it’s in today? It seems to me the economy tanked before the election of President Obama.

The Book Project

What a lot of work!

The shelved paperbacks have now been put in order and “catalogued.” (That spelling looks completely wrong.) Climbing up and down that ladder was strenuous for me.

I have started the hard-covers. One book case is finished, and the stacks on a table in my bedroom and stretched across the dresser top are about half done. There is a box under the bed, and another bookcase in the living room to go. Then they must be sorted and put in order.

That leaves the seven or eight big bankers’ boxes in the garage with more paperbacks to be cataloged (that spelling doesn’t look right either. I looked it up and both are correct though. It just looks wrong.

It’s going to be very hard for me to get rid of them.

No comments: