Sunday, January 8, 2012

Good-bye Old Friends

This weekend I began a major project that turned out to be a little more involved that I thought. I decided I would try to sell all my books on line. The project involves inventory and re-shelving. In order to sell I have to know what I have and where each book is physically located. I devised a data base that makes it go a little faster, but climbing up and down the ladder and moving books from one place to the other is tiring and time-consuming.

I read cozies, thrillers, and mysteries mostly. My sleuths are police detectives, private detectives, a gay detective, a native Alaskan woman, a female forest ranger, authors, crossword puzzle creators. I have series that include sleuths who cater, cook, quilt, knit, edit newspapers, etc. Nuns, priests, and rabbis also have a nose for crime. One brainy solver is physically challenged, some are elderly, some are physic. All are interesting.

The biggest problem may be letting them go. As I look at each one, I see so many that sound interesting and I have no memory of the plots. I have read every book on the shelves, some more than once, so it’s such a temptation to save them to read later. It going to be so hard to lose my old friends.

I’m looking on the bright side. Maybe they won’t sell.

2 comments:

Meryl Baer said...

There is a bright side to selling - others will experience the fun of reading and enjoying your books. Spread the good times around!

jay said...

I say keep em. They are part of who you are. Plus, you said it yourself, the ones you don't remember reading can be read again...