Monday, November 4, 2013

Dudley Do-right Is Now Dudley Do-Wrong

Mr. Fixit is a by-the-book kind of guy. In fact, he's a bit more than a by-the-book kind of guy. He walks on the stripes of the zebra crossings at Wal-Mart.  There have been many times when he has discovered that he has left his wallet with his license at home and turned around to go back and get it even though we maybe going less than a mile.  Me? I’m a little bit more of a rebel, I suppose. I deliberately avoid the zebra crossings, and if I’m just going to the corner store, I don’t take the time to return home if I forget my license. To be honest, I like to get his goat just a bit by ignoring his “book.”

Sometime in September, I noticed that our licenses were to expire on our birthdays in October; I mentioned it to him. We both forgot all about it; we’re old. Our birthdays came and went and we failed to take care of the renewal.

Last night  I was lying in bed about 2:30 am with dark thoughts that come to me in the middle of the night. For some reason, I realized that we both had been driving for two weeks with invalid licenses. During that time, we had made a couple of day trips and just doing the usual travel for errands.
My first thought was “He’s going to FREAK!!!” When he came down for breakfast, I broke the news to him. He had been breaking the rules! I hastened to add that I had a plan to remedy the situation without our being arrested and taken to the pokey. The plan was for him to get his renewal at one DMV office and I would get mine at another. I knew he wouldn’t want to run the risk of someone asking us if we drove ourselves to get the licenses. We stayed with the plan and drove about 30 miles between DMV offices. Well, it was a nice day for a drive, and there was nothing pressing at home.

We are both legal again, and Mr. Fixit is once again  Dudley Do-Right and  I get my little kicks avoiding the zebra crossings and coloring outside the lines.

1 comment:

Meryl Baer said...

What a great plan! Glad to hear you are once again law-abiding citizens.