Friday, November 29, 2013

Tip of the Day

Heed the message “Not for baking or frying” on the lite name-brand stick margarine. And I would like to add another “Not for”—melting in a microwave oven.

I accidentally brought home the lite version of this product. My first clue that this was not my usual stuff was a batch of scones that flowed together on the baking sheet making one giant scone that didn’t rise very well. That’s when I noticed the “Not’s.” I put the margarine aside in the fridge.

Several days later I when I was making biscuits I put a blob of margarine in the microwave for 20 seconds to melt. I usually brush the tops of the unbaked biscuits with margarine. Perhaps I should have known that my mental acuity is not at its zenith at 7:00 am. Five seconds into the cycle there was a loud pop. I opened the oven door and there were unmelted globs of margarine all over the inside of the oven. I swear that little blob had more than doubled in size in five seconds. What a mess! And not a nice way to start the day.

(Two little blobs equal one glob in my own personal chart of measurements.)

One other thought regarding butter/margarine. Margarine is faux butter; the heart smart spreads that Mr. Fixit and I both eat in the interest of better health is faux margarine. Does this make ithe heart smart stuff twice removed from butter? I think of it as faux-faux butter.

Gee, after proofing this post, I think I must not be too well today. Sometimes I get on these ramblin’ conversational jaunts, and this must be one of those days. Mr. Fixit will be glad that I said nothing controversial, not even mentioning the name of the offending faux-faux butter, but I'll give you a clue. Think of a colorful pioneer woman's hat.

No comments: