Saturday, November 30, 2013

Another Friend Lost

Mother Cat 2001(?)- 2013
We have been trying for two weeks to get Mother Cat to the vet because she had some sort of mouth problem.  The last few days must have been hellish for her. She couldn’t eat, and the drooled constantly. I think she had something more serious that a mouth infection. She was getting so skinny, and her winter fluff wasn’t growing.

I called the vet this morning to see if he could put her down today. Thank goodness he was in the office. It took us two hours to get her in the carrier. She was so scared, and I was so stressed. I had a mini-breakdown after I got her into the box. I think the stress and knowing that she was so scared pushed me over the edge. I was sobbing in relief I think. Mr. Fixit probably thought I was losing my mind. Surprisingly she calmed down inside the carrier. She was like a whirling dervish just seconds before.

The vet said she went easy; I hope so. I wonder is animals feel betrayal. One part of me feels relieved that she is no longer in pain; another part of me feels so guilty that her last morning was so stressful and scary for her.

It makes me sad, too, to think that she could have had a better, safer life if she had just trusted us more.
 
Big Boy, her last surviving son, is the only one we have left, and he is having mouth problems, too. We have to get him to the vet next week. Maybe it won’t be too late for him.

No comments: