Tuesday, November 19, 2013

It’s Not News to Me

Every morning I start reading the news on my homepage—my ISP/Yahoo! Something strange has been happening lately. The same thing is happening on the local newspaper website and the website for our local television stations. I read the online versions of several newspapers in large metropolitan areas. It happens in those papers, too.

Today is November 19, 2012. These were the top  five stories in the US news section on the Yahoo! site:

Tornado in the Midwest – Published 11-17-13

Pilot announces, “We’re going down!” – Published 11-14-2013

Donate to the typhoon relief – Published 11-11-13

White candidate pretends to be black – Published 11-10-13

Newtown 911 tapes – Published 11-10-13

It must be a slow news year day. They post the same stories for days and days sometimes. The weird thing is that the Entertainment section of the news seldom has old stories featured. TMZ updates old stories, but I’ve never seen the same story carried for days (Let’s not talk about my knowledge of TMZ, okay?)

There must be important stuff happening in the world every day. So why do they need to repeat the old news? It’s a mystery to me, but it’s not news anymore.

1 comment:

Betty said...

I'm so glad you said that. It's very frustrating to expect to see new news stories, and only find old news on the Yahoo site. But, then, you'll find the same thing on the sites of CNN and several others. Are they just too lazy to update daily? Who knows. Since Google went away, I can't find a home page I like. Grrr.