Monday, May 19, 2014

An Alternate Universe?

Has the world tilted on its axis and someone forgot to tell me? Perhaps I have been swept into a loony parallel universe? Something’s going on, that’s for sure.

Item 1 – For all those who have pooh-poohed the idea of major climate change, consider this.

The weather in South Carolina from the middle of April until about November  is hot, humid, and just plain uncomfortable. Some (like me) would say it can be unbearable. Even though we have had a couple of 90+ degrees days, Friday night it was so cold that Mr. Fixit turned on the heat again. It has been coming on all weekend. Keep in mind that this is mid-May. Usually by this time Lucy’s Rules for Summer have been implemented and I am bitching and moaning about sweat.

The past winter was so cold that I had to wear jackets, mittens, and earmuffs. Usually I can make do with just sweaters. It gets cold for a few days, but this winter the cold lasted for months. I was glad to see spring come.

So, if you have any doubt that  the icecaps are melting, the fact that it is cold enough in SC to have the heat on in mid-May should at least induce the climate change skeptics to reconsider and start supporting environmental policies that could help the situation.

Item 2 – In Mississippi, some ultra-conservative feloniously entered a nursing care facility to take video (or pictures) of the bed-ridden wife of an opposing politico for some reason. I have tried to imagine what was going on in this disturbed mind. What was his desired result? Did he expect the voters to vote against a man because his wife is incapacitated?What was his reasoning? (Story reported in most major news outlets.)

Item 3 – Again on the political scene. An Arizona congressional candidate said that 99% of the mass shootings have been done by Democrats. Wh-a-a-t? How did he come up with that one? Honestly—have you ever read in any news account of any of these horrendous acts the political affiliation of the perpetrator? (Story reported in the NY Daily news and many other news outlets and internet sources.)

Item 4 – Karl Rove. . .oh, forget it. This one is simply too. . .

Everything seems to be a little off-kilter to me; but, then again, maybe it’s me who is…Nuts!

2 comments:

jay said...

I agree with you. I think the world is going nuts.

Unknown said...

It's the same here in NE Oklahoma. My garden is way behind last year because it's just not warm enough for things to grow. We are still using our heater too.