Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I’m a Little Texter, Short and Stout

Yesterday I had had enough. We were having a problem with a prescription, the doctor’s office and the insurance company,  and Ben, Jason, and I were communicating via email. They were in their offices, and I really don’t like to bother them during working hours. I would send an email to both explaining what was going on, and then I would have to wait until they had time to reply. I decided if I had texting set up on my phone, it wouldn’t be as intrusive as email. (That’s what they keep telling me anyway.)

My phone was a very basic Verizon phone. We had the texting blocked because it was so expensive. It had no camera or any of the fun stuff. I bought it because the keys and the screen featured large letters. The phone has always given me problems though.

So off we go to the Verizon store. I explained to the associate that I didn’t want a smart phone or anything else that would force me to choose between paying my phone bill and eating. I started to tell him I would settle for a not so smart one if the price were right. He presented a plan to us and a new phone that offers texting and a few little amenities for the same cost as our old plan. And my phone is a very nice shade of blue. Mr. Fixit opted to keep his old flip phone because he thinks he’s going to have a problem texting in English. So while I can’t surf the web, I can text.

I received a text from Noah today. “I heard you came into the 21st century and you can text now.” I replied with my own text. It only took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to text and to type the message. I was so proud of myself when I was finally clicked on “Send.” I showed Mr. Fixit my accomplishment and noticed a typo in my short reply. Noah probably thinks I need a little more work in the 21st century technology.

No comments: