Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Great Squirrel Mystery

There are in our yard an oak tree, a pecan tree, and several pine trees. These trees provide gourmet dining for many squirrels.

I realize that squirrels are rodents, and I have an aversion to most rodents—a BIG aversion. For some reason, however, I find squirrels cute. They make messes throwing the cores of pines cones that have stripped all over the yard, they dig holes to hide the pecans, and they leave their acorn shells on the railing of the deck, but they amuse me.

They are cheeky little devils, sitting up appearing to be issuing challenges to you. They have boundless energy it seems. They scamper up the trees in figure 8’s, and leap from limb to limb, tree to tree, with the bravery and agility of super heroes. They also let you know in no uncertain terms when they are perturbed with their tsking.

They are a bright spot when I am breakfasting on the deck. For the last two or three days, they have disappeared. I see maybe one or two a day. Where have they gone? Was it something I said? Did they not approve when I put walnuts out for them instead of pecans? (Maybe they haven’t noticed the price of pecans lately.)

I hope they are simply on vacation (Is there a Myrtle Beach for squirrels?) and will return soon. I need every little bit of fun I can get these days.

No comments: