Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Fifth Grade Teacher Would Be So Disappointed in Me

I sent the following text with a photo of his cat to Jason today. (We are checking on the cat, Potter, while they are away on vacation.):

“Do u c potter? He copped a cattitude today. wouldnt come down. Stayed at top of steps.”

If I had been sending an email, I would have written:

“Do you see Potter? He copped a “cat-titude” today. He wouldn’t come down. He stayed at the top of the steps.”

The text version leaves me feeling a tad uncomfortable. After having grammar, punctuation, and spelling taught to me for 12 years, it’s difficult to disregard the rules.

Why do people use no punctuation and spell phonetically when sending text messages? Is there a limit to the number of strokes or words like there is on Twitter? I’ll have to look into it. In the meantime, ttfn, lol.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've started using those same abbreviated grammar and punctuation shortcuts because I have an old flip phone and I suffer from text fatigue when I try to communicate with someone. I much prefer email to texting. I'm getting lost in the technological shuffle.