Sunday, July 22, 2007

Mr. Fixit, the Swimmer

Mr. Fixit, Ben, and Jason after removing the deck.
The Big Hole
The almost finished product
Jason’s pool is almost finished. There is still some work to done on the surround and some grading and landscaping to be done. It is going to be beautiful. The children love it!
I can’t wait to see it at night with the underwater lights.

Mr. Fixit’s 70th birthday is soon, but he is still as active and healthy as he ever was. He works part-time, he has helped remodel four houses in the last four years, and he is constantly working around the house when he is home. He was a paratrooper when he was in the military. That takes a lot of guts! One thing he never accomplished in his life was learning to swim. He is (or I should say, was) deathly afraid of the water. He never even takes baths; he showers. At the beach, he would only venture into knee deep water.

Today we went over to see the pool. I was a bit indisposed so I took a quick look and headed for home. He stayed. He had taken his swimsuit with him. As I was leaving, I asked him if he was going in; he said he might. A couple of hours later, I called.

“Did you go in the water?” I asked.

“I can swim!” He sounded as excited as a 5-year-old on Christmas morning.

Jason told him what to do and he did it! I think I am more proud of him than he is of himself.

1 comment:

jay said...

Man, what a teacher!