Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Asking the Right Question

Last evening I received an automated telephone call from Target asking for my rating of our recent experience with its extended warranty that we purchased when we bought the under-the-cabinet television for the kitchen.

The voice asked me questions I couldn't answer. We haven’t received the TV from the repair service yet. I was in a quandary when asked if the product was received unbroken. I was also at a loss when asked to rate various aspects of the service. Silly me thought that if I give the lowest rating available it might be possible to talk to a real person explaining that we have not received the repaired set so it was impossible for me to answer the questions fully and honestly.

At the end of the survey, I was told that I could leave a message to add any further comments. “Good!” I thought. “I’ll explain that I couldn't answer the questions since the survey was made too early.” After I was prompted to begin my message, I started to explain only to be interrupted by a recorded voice telling me that the message thingy was experiencing technical problems and I would be unable to leave a message. Irony? Perhaps they didn’t like all my negative feedback and didn’t want to hear anymore. Honest, Target, I was just trying to explain.

I received an email this morning telling me the TV would be delivered on the 18th. I wonder if they will call again. My first suggestion will be to change their first question on the survey to “Have you received your product from the repair service?”

No comments: