Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Making My Life Easier

Several years ago in my first blog I wrote a post about my favorite inventions. I mentioned ice makers, air conditioning, motion detector outdoor lights, and televisions with remote controls.

I have one more item to add to the list that makes my life easier and a little more pleasant--parchment paper. So it’s been around for years and years, so it’s a bit expensive for its intended use--I love it! My grandmother, who was a great southern cook, used brown paper bags instead of parchment paper for lining her cake pans to prevent sticking. Somehow I just can’t bring myself to do that. I don’t know where that bag has been. Eeww!

Today I had some pecans left over from the holiday; I decided to make spiced pecans. I usually only make them once a year because of the carb content and because I really hate washing the cookie sheet. The sugar leaves a baked-on syrupy mess. I had a bit of parchment paper left and used it. The nuts were quite tasty, and the pan was practically clean. Who could ask for more?

No comments: