Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas and The Salvation Army

Paducah, Kentucky, my hometown, is located at the confluence of the Tennessee and the Ohio rivers. In January, 1937, there was a great flood that caused a major evacuation. My dad was a young man, and he and his family were advised to leave their home.

During the evacuation, the Red Cross was one of the organizations tasked with caring for the temporarily homeless population. Dad told the story of the Red Cross selling knit caps. He wanted one because the weather was cold and miserable but didn't have the money to buy one. He said later the same day the Salvation Army arrived and was giving away the same knit caps to anyone that wanted one that the Red Cross was selling earlier in the day. My dad would never contribute to the Red Cross, but he contributed to the Salvation Army whenever he could afford it.

Unlike the Red Cross that was rocked by scandal a few years ago, I have never heard of any scandal associated with the Salvation Army. Indeed, they feed and shelter the homeless and the abused, and we have all contributed, I'm sure, to their Christmas Red Kettle appeals. This year they have even updated some their kettles to accept credit cards.

According to the Houston Chronicle, some Houston charities are requiring children who was being considered as recipients of toy give-aways show proof of citizenship before receiving their Christmas gifts. The Salvation Army is one of those charities requiring proof of citizenship. Dad would have been so disappointed that the organization has become political instead of charitable.

How heartless and stingy have we become that we are unwilling to give a needy child a toy! This is not a drain on taxpayer dollar. It's not cash, food stamps, or even medical care. It's a toy, for Heaven sake, bought with donated dollars. If you don't wish to give a toy to a needy child who may not be a citizen, don't contribute. It's as simple as that. I just don't feel that my donated dollars should be given to an organization that would turn away a needy child because of his or her immigration status.

I'm rethinking my contribution to the Salvation Army. I'm going to give to local programs that do not require proof of citizenship or perhaps I should check with our local SA as to their requirements for gift recipients. Just being a needy kid should be the only criterion for receiving a little fun at Christmas.

1 comment:

Bennigin said...

I really do hope that isn't true.

I know the Salvation Army has helped some of my tenants pay rent.