Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let Me Look That Up for You

Since my memory is so undependable, I have decided to start a household journal of sorts.

Our kitchen television broke and luckily we had purchased a warranty when we bought it. The first one we had broke within a year or so. In this case, I'm glad we have the warranty because this one lasted about a year and a half. Mr. Fixit asked me when we sent it back for repair. I had no idea. That's when I realized that I had to have some record of things we do, places we go, where some things are stored, when items are purchased, etc.

I frequently use my blog to refresh my memory, but I don't record the minutiae of daily life that I some times need to remember. I've tried keeping a journal several times but have never kept it up. This time I must so when Mr. Fixit asks me when we bought ________, I can tell him when, where, and how much it cost. When he asked me where I put ______________, I can tell him the exact location.

Maybe it will make our lives a little more peaceful and a little less frustrating.

*********************

The last few days we have been receiving some mysterious phone calls. The number calling is an 877 toll free number (today it was an 888 number). The first one was went to the answering machine because we weren't home. The message was for a name that we have never heard of and stated that several civil matters had been brought to their attention and they requested a call back. The party calling identified herself as an agent for some investigative agency. The weird thing was that the message sounded recorded. I didn't call back because the whole thing sounded "not right" to me. The next day an identical call was received and I let it go to the answsering machine. Same message word for word; it must have been recorded. Curiouser and curiouser. The phone rang just a minute ago and I answered telling the caller (a real person,not a recording)that no one at this number was named S.J. The caller was a little huffy; I was a lot huffy.

I gave her no information at all except that I had never heard of the person she was calling. If she is an investigator why didn't she check the phone number in a reverse directory which is free on the internet? (Incidentally, I did try to check her number on the reverse directory but couldn't find anything. That also made me suspicious.)

I hope this isn't some sort of scam in which we will be charged thousands of dollars for phone calls to Outer Mongolia or some other ploy to bilk the public.

No comments: