Thursday, January 7, 2010

The First Lucy & Ricky Ricardo Moment of 2010

It is very unusual for me to stay in my pajamas for more than 10 minutes after I get up. Mr. Fixit called me on his 10:00 am break. When he asked me what I was doing, I replied, “I'm still in my jammies reading the newspaper on line.” He called again a few days later with the same question. I replied, “I'm doing the crossword on line in my p.j.'s.” (I don't know why I had changed my habit after a lifetime routine of getting dressed first thing in the morning. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Yesterday he called before leaving work with his usual question. “What are you doing?”

I said, “I'm reading the newspaper.”

He said, “Are you still in your peejees?”

I had to stop and think about that one even though over the years I've learned to “listen with an accent.”

After I couple of second's thought, I realized he had combined “jammies” and “p.j.'s” to coin a whole new word—peejees. I like it! From now on, my night attire will be know as peejees.

No comments: