Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mother

After I finished last post, I looked back through my old blog to see if I could figure out Mother Cat's age. Back in 2005 I mentioned that she had her first litter (that I know of) three years before which would be 2002. She had been around our house for two or three years before that. She is at least ten years old. That's pretty darned old for a feral cat. The vet had told me that feral cats have very short lifespans--maybe three years. Most of her kittens lived about that long even though I think we took good care of them. I still have three out of ten she had. One from each litter died shortly after birth. The others died of natural causes. I hope their short lives were comfortable. They gave us such pleasure and fun.

Mother came to have her supper. As usual, she came in, ate, and left. I wish that she would stay inside when the weather is so bad, but she doesn't linger. I was so happy to see her.

No comments: