Monday, January 17, 2011

Wait a Sec. . .

An item in this weekend’s news was that Pres. Reagan’s son, Ron, has had a book published in which he states that the President was probably  suffering from Alzheimer’s disease while still in office. Is this really news or new information? Many people, including me, surmised this when the news was released that there was a diagnosis of this debilitating disease. It made me realize that when Pres. Reagan was being questioned about the Iran Contra affair and he answered so many times, “I don’t remember” that perhaps he really didn’t remember.

The news reports this weekend showed several taped instances when the President seemed to lose words or his train of thought. It was painful watch knowing now that he could have been in the early stages of the disease.

It hits home with me because the same thing happens to me. Even when I’m having a stress-free conversation with Mr. Fixit or when I’m talking to strangers and there is a little more stress, it happens. I also “lose” words when writing these posts or working crosswords. I have to sit and think for a bit before I remember it. It’s strange, but most of the time, I can remember the first letter of the lost word. It’s very embarrassing and worrisome. I wonder if most people of my age have this happen, or could I be in the early stages of Alzheimer’s or dementia. 

I don’t worry too much about those little aches and pains that have come with aging, or even the sagging skin, wrinkles, or thinning hair. (That’s not quite true. I hate the fact that my hair is no longer thick and lush.) But having to say, “Wait a sec; I forgot the word” is frightening.

1 comment:

betty said...

I "lose" words the same way you do, and a lot of other people I know who are around my age do it, too. We just supply the lost word for each other and go on.