Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A New Project

When Mr. Fixit was away on vacation (he’s back, by the way), I had a little scare.

The shower in the upstairs bath is not separate from the tub; it’s in the tub. As I started to step out, one foot was in the tub on the mat and the other foot hadn’t hit the floor yet. The mat slipped and I almost fell. The hamper saved my bacon. I escaped with a little banged up shin.

Afterwards, I realized that it could have been a bad situation. What if I had broken something and wasn’t able to get up? I could have lain there for days. There is no place that I have to be a certain time, so no one would miss me. No one calls with any regularity.

Weird thoughts started going through my mind. I remembered an episode of “CSI” about a little old cat lady who died, and her cats ate her. One CSI person said, “To a hungry cat, meat is meat.” I love Little Girl, but I don’t want to be cat food.

Even if I didn’t croak, I would be mortified if by some chance someone called our local paramedics and they found me sans clothing sprawled half in and half out of the bath tub. It doesn’t bear thinking about. When I die, I plan to be fully clothed. I would prefer to have make-up on; it’s not a deal breaker if I don’t, but it would be nice if I did.

When I told Mr. Fixit about my near brush with becoming noms for Little Girl, I told him that I want to start using the downstairs bath to take showers because it has a shower stall. There is little danger when stepping down only two inches or so. He seemed to think it was good idea until I said that I would like to freshen the room up a bit. The last time I decided to “freshen up” the upstairs bathroom my budget (according to him) rivaled the national debt. When you paint the walls, the molding looks dreary. The new paint color means new accessories. The new accessories call for new drawer pulls, etc., etc., etc.

It shouldn’t be that bad this time. I bought fabric for a new curtain, a new mirror, and I found a pretty shower curtain. Of course, I will need new towels and a new hamper.

While we were in Lowe’s shopping he was looking at shower heads, I asked him if I could take the one from the upstairs to put it in the downstairs bath. We had a major disagreement when Mr. Fixit tried several different so called “water saving” shower heads before. I hate them! I want to be able to sluice off the shampoo and soap quickly and not have to stand there for ten minutes while the water sprays down on me like “a gentle rain.” My motto is, “Get in; get it done, get out.”

Since we don’t have to paint, buy a new light fixture, or new drawer/door pulls, I should be able to come in under budget--although we could use new flooring.  I’d better not mention that. He may tell me it would be cheaper for me to have one of those “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” gadgets.

No comments: