Friday, April 1, 2011

Time and News

So-o-o? What does a person do when they have no demands on their time? For this person, it’s a whole lot of nuthin’.

Mr. Fixit has been gone since Monday, and here it is Friday. My time has been taken up with computer games, reading, and little else. I have been out once to the grocery.

Even though I don’t want to go anywhere, I have this restlessness at my edges. It’s getting to me a little. I think maybe it’s the weather and the fact that I don’t like going out alone.

This morning Mother Cat didn’t show up for breakfast. She seldom misses breakfast. I’m a little worried about her. I called and called but she hasn’t appeared. She looks as if she is in good shape even though she must be at least nine years old. That’s very old for a feral cat. The vet told me that the lifespan of the average feral cat is about two years. I hope she isn’t trapped somewhere.

And in the news, our state legislature is considering a bill that would not require South Carolinians to use the new light bulbs that will be mandated by the Feds soon. The reason is not what you may think. No one seems to be concerned about the mercury in them. No, it seems that the light bulb problem is a matter of states’ rights. “Nobody is going to tell us what kind of light bulbs to use!” Hmmm. That the same reason that was used for The War Between the States. Slavery wasn’t the problem; South Carolina just didn’t want the Federal Government “pokin’ its nose in where it didn’t belong.” There are so many problems in this state and they are discussing light bulbs. Now I know why we are in dire straits.

I’m angry with the Houston Chronicle. For years, my morning routine has included working their crossword puzzle. Now not only have they eliminated “Fred Bassett” from their comics page, but now they no longer offer the crossword. Washington Post here I come. Houston, your nutsy political scene isn’t enough to keep me as a reader. Well, there is “Dear Abby.”

I’m not too thrilled with my Yahoo! home page either. They have removed their TV listings service. Even though I have a guide on the television and access to the Directv guide, I like having the mini-guide on my home page. It’s so handy.

I hate change! Can you tell I’m a little edgy?

No comments: