Wednesday, May 20, 2009

TMI

This week the major networks’ morning news shows have been featuring pieces describing the signs of Alzheimer’s disease. Every time I hear the warning signs, I think, “Yep, that’s me!”

The speed at which I read has decreased substantially over the past several years. The other morning when I finished my 30-odd minutes on the treadmill, it seemed that I had only read a couple of short chapters. When I tried to figure out my current reading rate doing the math in my head as I had been able to do previously, I had to sit down with a pencil and paper to discover how long it would take me to finish the book I was reading.

I “lose” words, too. I know what I want to say, but I can’t think of the appropriate word. This happens quite often.

Of course, it seems that I spend half of my time looking for things that I have put away.

I can’t seem to do more than one thing at the time. The other night before going to bed I went into the kitchen to take insulin and to pack Mr. Fixit’s lunch for the next day. The doctor has given me a different method of taking it that no longer involves syringes and small vials of the medicine. Anyway, the next morning as I was brushing my teeth, it occurred to me that I became so involved with the new insulin system that I forgot to make Mr. Fixit’s lunch.

My grandchildren often hear “. . . or whatever your name is” when I talk to them. I have to run through all their names until I come up with the right one.

Are these deficits caused by normal aging? Am I suffering from hypochondria? Is Alzheimer’s rearing its ugly head? I wish the morning shows would go on to another subject. At this point, for me, ignorance is bliss.

3 comments:

Granny Annie said...

All the things you mentioned are regular occurences for me. Last night Ron asked for a bowl of strawberries and ice cream. I headed for the kitchen to prepare it and about an hour later when I returned to the den empty handed he looked at me with that sad, pityful hungry face. Oops, I forgot. I did manage to get back with the dessert the second time.

Ginnie said...

I have to write everything down. It has become such a habit that I am not sure if I'd be able to get along without paper and pen.
I think age affects people in different ways and I can't compare with others...just hope for the best. !

Betty said...

I'm the same way. I have to keep a pen and paper next to me to write notes to myself. It's really irritating losing words, but I think that's more a normal sign of aging than anything. At least, I hope so.