Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Great Baseball Moment for an 8-year-old!

This is a day that will live in my memory and the memories of our grandson, Owen, and our son, Jason, for the rest of our lives.


Today was the final game in the Fall Ball Season. Owen’s game began at 9:00 am. It was sunny and cold enough to freeze your nose. I was not in the best of moods. I went to sleep about 6:00 am and had to get up again at 7:30 am in order to get to the park by 9:00. I almost stayed home, but I’m so glad I went. I wouldn’t have missed this for the world.

I’m not sure of the correct baseball lingo, but this is what happened.

Owen was playing third base when the batter hit a fly ball. Owen caught the ball for Out No. 1. He then turned and tagged the runner who had been on second base and was running to third--Out No. 2. He still had the ball in his hand. He started running to the pitcher’s mound. I thought he was going to yell “Time!” when he reached the mound. (In coaches pitch games, this is standard procedure.) Instead of stopping on the mound he kept running toward first. I thought, “Where the heck is he going?” It soon became apparent. The runner who had been on first had started for second base. He was trying to get back to first to tag up again when Owen noticed the runner was off base. Thank Heaven, the umpire saw exactly what was happening. Owen ran from third base to first base and tagged the runner. The umpire signaled Out 3. Owen made a triple play with no assist!!!

The crowd went nuts! Heck, I went nuts! I thought Jason was going to bust his buttons he was so proud. BTW, they won the game by virtue of the mercy rule when the score is one-sided. The coach came over to the spectators and said, “Remember this one, because you probably will never see it again.” Owen was awarded the game ball on which his unassisted triple play was noted.

I wish everyone could have seen the pure joy on that child’s face the rest of the game. What a way to end the season!