Monday, November 1, 2010

It Happened on Halloween

Yesterday as we were heading home on I75 near Atlanta, there was a sleek, shiny black hearse on the side of the highway being tended to by one of those roving roadside assistance truck drivers.


Several thoughts popped into my head. I fervently hoped that the hearse was empty except for the driver. Then I wondered where the funeral procession was. Had this inconvenience happened before or after the ceremony? What is proper etiquette when the hearse breaks down before the rites begin? Do you continue on to the cemetery and wait there for the deceased to show up or do you go home and wait for further instructions? Did the driver simply run out of gas? Hmmm, I think if I were driving a hearse that would be the second thing I would check before hitting traffic on I75 in Atlanta. (Atlanta has the nuttiest drivers east of the Mississppi in my opinion. I would rather drive in Manhattan than Atlanta.)

I always heard people say of the chronically late, “She’ll be late to hear own funeral.” In this case, it could have actually happened.

No comments: