Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Matter of Perspective

Since the grandchildren are getting older, we have stopped “shopping” for their Christmas gifts. We give cash. It’s easy; we are sure no one will return it (with cash, one size fits all, as it were), and everyone knows that they all get exactly the same thing. It does take away my Christmas spirit a bit.

This morning I received a “thank you” email from Noah with pictures of the new sneakers he and Owen bought with their money.

Once again reality smacked me in the face. They used their money for clothes. They probably went to the sneaker emporium at the mall or their favorite sporting goods store. They didn’t go to Toys R Us for the newest Lego sets or even the latest video games. They bought shoes, for heaven sakes!

They are growing up. It makes me sad somehow. Time seems to be passing way too fast for me. At their ages, I’m sure they all think that time drags and they will never grow up.

If they only knew. . .

No comments: