Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Br-r-r-r! The Sequel

We made it through the night without frostbite nipping at our noses and with water flowing through our unfrozen pipes.

When I woke up at 5:30 am, the outside temp was about 7 degrees. I went back to bed; the indoor temp was 60 degrees. These heat pump units just don’t work very well in very cold weather. When I managed to crawl out of a very warm bed at 7:30 am, the outside temp had dropped to 2 degrees above and the indoor temp was down to 58.

While I am a bit uncomfortable, we are so much luckier than thousands of other people. We have no snow or ice; the sun is shining. I know how miserable it is with no heat, snow up to you tush, and no electricity. When Jason was 2 1/2 years old, a blizzard hit Connecticut, and we were without warmth and electricity for more than five days. The high temps went only to the mid teens in the daytime, falling to below zero at night. The governor shut down the whole state; no traffic except for emergency vehicles. If I could have, I would have taken the boys and headed home to Mother in Kentucky. That was the only time that thought ever crossed my mind. We lived through it, but it wasn’t fun. This “polar vortex” is making me testy.

____________________________

Step 2 was completed yesterday. Next step Thursday for the hardest part, the results.

No comments: