Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Another Culinary Disaster

Every evening the cat has chicken which I cook just for him. It started when one of them had an infection in his mouth and he didn’t want to eat. Since then, it has become a bedtime ritual.

To prepare the chicken, I cook it in a microwave rice pot that can be used as a steamer also. I cover the chicken with water, fasten the lid on the pot, and check to see if the steam vents are open. I cook the meat in two stages just to be sure that the water doesn’t evaporate completely. (I used the broth to make chicken stock for soups and anything else that I cook that requires it.) I then chop the meat in a food processor to make it easier for him to chew. I’ve done this hundreds of times.

I put the chicken on to cook as usual. It cooked for ten minutes, and I checked the water level and returned it for the last few minutes of cooking. I left the kitchen for about five minutes. As I was coming down the steps to return to the kitchen, I heard a big noise. I knew right away it came from the microwave.

I open the door. The fastened lid had blown completely off the pot, and there was broth standing in the oven. It also dripped on the stove top. There had been two skinless, boneless thighs in the pot. One was blown to smithereens. There were chicken bits adhering to every wall of the oven. One thigh was unaffected, whole in the pot which was still standing upright.

I have no idea what happened. It was a terrible mess to clean up, and Mr. Fixit and I had to forego the chicken vegetable soup I had planned for our dinner.

I’m a bit hesitant to try it again. I wonder if the cat would like grilled chicken. It might be safer. George Foreman grills don’t explode, do they?

No comments: