Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekend Happenings

Cole’s baseball team took part in their league’s World Series Championship in Charleston. I was surprised by the number of teams attending and the geographic area covered. There were teams from as far away as Louisiana and Illinois. There could have been some from even more distant places, but we only saw the games for the 13 and under division.

Our team didn’t do very well. Out of the six games they played they only won 1 game. During the games we saw, no one seemed to be playing as well as they usually do. We had several incidents that could have hurt them, too. One little guy scraped his knee at a water park and developed a terrible infection. Friday, our first day there, he was complaining of a terrible headache and chills. His parents took him to an emergency care facility the next morning when they noticed a red streak running up his leg from the scrape. I guess water parks are notorious as the source of infections. The wife of the head coach became ill, and he pulled his child from the tournament to bring his wife home so the boys were playing without their usual coach and one team member. The weather was incredibly hot and humid. That could have been a factor in their lack of enthusiasm. It didn’t do much for me either.

We went down on Friday in time to see two games. We had to come home because we didn’t take our meds with us, and, of course, someone had to feed the cats. I got 3 hours of sleep Friday night. We weren’t able to stay for the games on Sunday, because Mr. Fixit had to go to work this morning at 4 am, and I was exhausted. By the time we could have arrived, the game would have been half over. We were spending about 7 hours a day traveling between here and Charleston.

I had never been to Charleston, and I finally was able to see live oaks with Spanish moss that I’ve about read about for years. I was thrilled! It was just as described in Southern romantic novels.

Last Thursday Mr. Fixit bought me a laptop. He said he was tired of hearing me complain about the old one. While he seldom uses the computer, he, too, would get mad at the weird error messages and the slowness when he tried to use the old. I haven’t had time to become acquainted with the new one yet. We did install a wireless network that night, and I was wondered if failure to install is a legal cause for divorce. We couldn’t get the first one to install so Mr. Fixit returned the first unit and picked out another brand. We had no problem with the second one. Well, perhaps I should say we had fewer problems and we did get it installed.
I using it now, and I’m having a little problem with the word processor. It keep scrolling while I’m trying to type. I’ll read the tutorial later to see what I’m doing to cause this little problem. In fact, I have a lot of tutorials to read. I may install my old, old Office program just for the word processor.

It’s nice to set up in the kitchen and "compute" while waiting for lunch to cook.

No comments: